Call for Papers for Scholarly Newman Association Conference at UST in 2021
The John Henry Newman Association will host its annual conference in Houston on the University of St. Thomas campus on July 29-31, 2021. The conference theme is “The Hour of the Laity.” Dr. Dominic Aquila is the conference coordinator.
Call for Papers
The Association is announcing a Call for Papers for this scholarly conference.
Proposal includes: name, institutional affiliation, title of presentation, and a 150- 200 word abstract. Email proposals to Dr. Bernadette Waterman Ward, program chair, at (firstname.lastname@example.org) as Microsoft Word or PDF file. Submissions are due April 1, 2021.
Possible subtopics include Newman’s ideas on:
- lay responsibility for education, politics, business or medicine, as in The Idea of a University
- Newman’s interest in the role of the laity in theological controversies in the early Church
- the role of the laity today
- the Oratorian commitment to lay spirituality
- Newman’s relations with lay converts
Important Conference Details
- Notification of acceptance will be given by May 1, 2021.
- Presentations will be 20-30 minutes plus questions and discussions to follow.
- Proposals for panels of 2-3 presenters will be considered as well.
- All accepted presenters are expected to register for membership in the association.
- All presentations will be considered for publication in the Association’s 2021 journal.
- The Association reserves the right of first refusal for publication of presentations.
- Conference fellowships are available, in honor of John T. Ford, C.S.C.