Calling All Houston Student Entrepreneurs for Fair & Pitch Competition, Win SEED $$$
Are you ready to take your gig to the next level, or are you thinking of starting a business? If you are a student entrepreneur, why not pitch your ideas at the inaugural Houston Community College/University of St. Thomas PitchFest Competition for SEED funding? Just remember to register before Nov. 15 at www.Bit.ly/HCCUSTEXPO.
“The McNair Center at UST is proud to pioneer the 2021 HCC/UST PitchFest, a one-of-kind event spotlighting student entrepreneurs,” Dr. Patrick Woock, director of the UST McNair Center for Entrepreneurship & Free Enterprise said. “Additionally, we are honored by our community partners who contribute selflessly to make Houston’s entrepreneurial ecosystem the ‘Best in the World!’”
Who Can Enter the Pitch Competition?
The competition is open to all high school and college students in the Houston area.
If you are already an established small business with at least $50K in annual revenues, meet local venture capitalists at the PitchFest to take your business to the next level.
Three student entrepreneurs will be chosen in two tracks, and the prize money is $1,000 for first place, $750 for second and $250 for third.
Individuals or teams can compete by delivering pitches to judges on three panels:
- Funding – Anthony Lopez, senior business development officer, LiftFund; Jessica Graham co-founder, Impact100; and Marylyn Harris, founder, Veteran Info Source Project.
- Resources – Willy Verbrugghe, president, SCORE; Jesse Bounds, MBA ‘05, director of Mayor's Office for Innovation, City of Houston; and David Regenbaum, chairman of the board, HCC Foundation.
- Startup - Madison Long, CEO, That’s Clutch; George Joseph, CEO, Common Bond; Zawadi Bryant, president, Acute Care Pediatrics, Mednax; and Audrey Mitchell, CEO, VG Haircare.
The Expo Event is on the Academic Mall and includes music. Visit with 75 student companies on the Mall. Also check out the community booths, which include Common Bond, MAX Studios, VG Haircare, Clutch, SCORE and LiftFund.
Rub Elbows with Special Guests
In attendance will be Jesse Bounds MBA ‘05, director of the Mayor’s Office of Innovation, UST President Richard Ludwick, UST’s Chief Innovation Officer Dr. Beena George, UST’s director of the McNair Center Dr. Patrick Woock and HCC’s Director of Student Innovation Ravi Brahmbhatt.
Submission deadlines are:
- Students can submit entries by Nov. 15
- Finalist Presentation: Competition Date Dec. 4