Giving Day Success Story!
More than 350 donors rallied raising more than $205,000 for University of St. Thomas students on Giving Day. This Giving Day success story surpassed last year’s Giving Day total by more than $100,000.
“We are navigating unchartered waters in philanthropy, and it was such an inspiration to see our community come together in support of our students,” Dawn Koenning, Chief Development Officer for UST, said. “Our students are facing such severe hardships, and we are simply blessed to be able to help meet their needs with the CeltCare Fund.”
CeltCare Fund Gives Hardship Grants
The CeltCare Fund is in response to the tremendous need created by COVID-19. Originally created in response to Hurricane Harvey, CeltCare is implemented during unprecedented times of hardship for our campus community. A great number of our students are feeling the effects of lost wages and worrying about their ability to continue their education due to the state of family finances.
The fund covers hardships such as housing challenges or food insecurity; laptops and Internet access; funds for students who lost wages or jobs they depend on to pay for their education or to support their family; and resources for students who may need emergency medical and mental health services.
UST Unlocks Matching Grants from Cullen Trust for Higher Education
With the monies raised on Giving Day, the University unlocked five challenges with matching grants from Cullen Trust for Higher Education.
- Social Media Profile Challenge – 50 people used the UST Giving Day Facebook profile frame and tagged "University of St. Thomas Alumni" which added an additional $10,000 to student scholarships by the Cullen Trust for Higher Education.
- Alumni Giving Challenge – 100 alumni gave on UST Giving Day; an additional $10,000 was donated to student scholarships by the Cullen Trust for Higher Education.
- Faculty/Staff Giving Challenge – 50 faculty and staff gave; $10,000 was donated to student scholarships by the Cullen Trust for Higher Education.
- First-time Donor Challenge – 50 first-time donors gave; an additional $10,000 was donated to student scholarships by the Cullen Trust for Higher Education.
- CeltCare Power Hour – People who donated directly to the CeltCare Fund between 10 am-noon received a 2:1 match by the Cullen Trust for Higher Education!
All donations were appreciated
"I loved the opportunity Giving Day provided for the community to come together virtually and rally behind our students,” UST Board Member and President of the Scanlan Foundation, Larry Massey, said. “As a donor that supports multiple scholarships and programs across campus, it was great to have a one-stop shop to support the causes that are meaningful to me."
UST wants to thank donors of $1,000+ for their generosity.
- Sr. Lauren Beck
- Beverly Childs
- Michael Clennan
- Mr. and Mrs. Robert Corrigan
- The Honorable Carolyn Dineen King
- David Finan
- Craig Jarchow
- Gloria Kalman
- John Kelly
- Terry and Marie Lynch
- William Mabus
- Michele Malloy
- Larry Massey
- Jim and Mary McDeavitt
- Leo & Susan Paige
- Dr. Gerard Rooney
- Scanlan Foundation
- Paul & Annette Sofka