It’s Entrepreneurship Pitch Fest Time: What’s Your Idea?
Calling all undergraduate students at the University of St. Thomas-Houston (UST) and Houston Christian University (HCU) who dream of getting their business ideas off the ground. It’s Pitch Fest time! Gear up for the Dec. 10, 2023, Idea Pitch Fest presented by the UST and HCU McNair Centers, and take your shot at winning some of the $20K in cash awards for your remarkable ideas.
But don’t waste time. The last day to submit your idea pitch entry in writing is Oct. 9.
Two Contests and Two Chances to Win
The first contest held Dec. 10 on the UST campus is the opportunity for would-be entrepreneurs to pitch their ideas to expert judges. Your idea must be in the idea phase only. It cannot already be up and running as a business.
The second pitch event (with another $20K in cash awards) will take place in May 2024. It will be a competition of business plan pitches. More information about the May competition will be available after the first of the new year.
Fantastic Resources to Underscore Your Success
Don’t know how to get started for the Idea Pitch Fest? Participants will gain access to valuable how-to resources for business development and communications, along with priceless feedback from expert judges. As preparation leading up to the Dec. 10 Idea Pitch Fest, UST and HCU McNair Centers are hosting essential online startup resources during live virtual workshops for all participants as follows:
· Oct. 23 – Ideal Customer & Value Proposition
· Oct. 30 – Startup Costs & Financial Ask
· Nov. 6 – How to Pitch to Investors
In addition, UST students can take advantage of the StartupWind online platform — an ongoing resource available to all UST students. StartupWind “provides courses for every stage of the entrepreneur’s journey, such as ideation, business model canvas, business planning, mentoring and fundraising.”
Rules for Eligibility
· At least one team member MUST BE a currently enrolled undergraduate student at HCU or UST.
· The business idea must only be in the idea stage – NOT generating revenue.
· Participation is limited to only five teams from each university.
· Selected students/teams MUST ATTEND Orientation held on Oct. 18 from 6 – 7 p.m. via Zoom, or they will be removed from the competition.
· A participant MAY NOT be on more than one team.
Opportunity Is Knocking
Get your team together or go solo. But don’t let this opportunity for so much development, training, and cash get away. Submit your idea pitch entry here.