Saint John Henry Newman Association will Host In-Person Annual Conference at UST - Houston in July
“University of St. Thomas - Houston will host the first post-pandemic annual conference of the Saint John Henry Newman Association on its campus July 29-31, 2021,” Dr. Dominic Aquila, history professor at UST, enthusiastically announced. The host committee at St. Thomas will continue their preparations for this good news.
Bernadette Waterman Ward, SJHNA president, announced “plans for plenty of social times for renewing the most precious aspect of our fellowship.”
Possible subtopics for the conference include:
- Newman’s ideas on lay responsibility for education, politics, business or medicine, as set forth in The Idea of a University
- Newman’s interest in the role of the laity in theological controversies in the early Church
- the role of the laity today
- the Oratorian commitment to lay spirituality
- Newman’s relations with lay converts etc.
Conference details include lodging and registration fee, which includes meals, social hours, coffee breaks, conference materials and mailing, and insurance. Registration fee is $290. With single lodging, the total cost is $365, and the double lodging total is $335.
The in-person conference also will be available digitally for those unable to travel. Registration for the Zoom version will be $50, $60 if after July 1, and $10 extra for a recording of the proceedings.